Are You Experiencing Signs & Symptoms of TMJ?
TMJ, also known as TMD or temperomandibular jaw disorder, is a term to refer to conditions that affect comfort and usage of the jaw. In some instances, it can make opening the jaw for speaking or eating difficult from the pain or discomfort felt. Prompt treatment can reduce the pain felt, restoring the patient's ability to eat and talk without pain or discomfort. Those suffering from this condition may be able to get relief from a South Charlotte dentist.
Because this condition affects the jaw, most of the symptoms occur in that area. Symptoms of TMJ include the following:
- Swelling of the jaw
- Dull pain in the jaw
- A jaw that locks when the mouth is opened
- Sounds from the joint of the jaw like popping, grating, or clicking
- Pain or discomfort that makes opening and closing the mouth wide difficult
These are not the only symptoms of temperomandibular jaw disorder. Other symptoms may not affect the jaw at all, but the areas around the jaw like the teeth, head, neck, and ears. Examples of these include:
- Hearing problems like ringing in the ears or a decreased ability to hear
- Muscle pain in the neck or upper back
- Headaches that may be confused with migraines or stress-induced headaches
- Teeth that feel out of alignment
Anyone with any of these symptoms is encouraged to set an appointment with a South Charlotte dentist for an evaluation and treatment. These symptoms of TMJ can be eased with the help of treatments available from a local dentist.
If you have any questions or would like more information about TMJ signs, symptoms and treatments or any additional information about our cosmetic dentistry services, please feel free to contact ourCharlotte dentist office at 704-543-1102 or by using our convenient online appointment request form.