Dental anxiety is real! Relieve your fears with our Charlotte Sedation Dentistry solutions.
Once you’ve visited us at Advanced Dentistry of Blakeney, you’ll never be afraid to go to the dentist again. Our Charlotte sedation dentistry practitioners, Dr. Betancourt and Dr. Pinnix, will help you select the right sedation option for you and the procedure. Your fear and anxiety will melt away as they restore your healthy smile.
Whether it’s been six months or six years since your last dental visit, Dr. Betancourt and Dr. Pinnix can correct any damage or decay in just one or two visits. Imagine feeling completely relaxed, with no fear of discomfort, and leaving our office with a healthy mouth.
Don’t wait any longer to learn about our Charlotte sedation dentistry options! Call Advanced Dentistry of Blakeney at 704-543-1102 or fill in and submit our easy and convenient Request An Appointment form to schedule your consultation. We’re dedicated to providing you with the highest standards for exceptional results for all your dental care needs.
How You Benefit from Sedation Dentistry
Many people in the Charlotte, NC area can benefit from sedation dentistry. If you’re one of the many individuals who suffer from a phobia or a medical condition that makes a visit to the dentist unbearable, this safe, modern alternative may be the right choice for you.
Sedation dentistry is especially helpful for those with:
- Trauma from an early dental experience
- Intense fear of dental procedures
- Difficulty getting numb
- A sensitive gag reflex
- Very sensitive teeth
- Complex dental problems
- A limited timeframe in which to complete dental care
- If the sights, sounds, and smells of a dental practice frighten you or if you dislike needles.
The great news is that whatever might make you uncomfortable about our dentist office — treatments, sights, sounds, or smells — you won’t notice them during your visit or be affected by them after Dr. Betancourt and Dr. Pinnix have finished.
Types of Sedation Dentistry
There are 4 primary ways in which sedation can be administered in our dental office. These are inhalational conscious sedation (laughing gas), oral conscious sedation (pill), IV conscious sedation and general anesthesia (deep sedation). The best method for any patient is based on their individual needs. Due to the additional training required to provide these 4 forms of sedation, most dentists are unable to offer them. Advanced Dentistry of Blakeney can and we are glad to accept referrals for these types of sedation treatments!
- Inhalational Conscious Sedation (Nitrous Oxide): Also known as “laughing gas”. It is easily administered and the most frequently used sedation method in dentistry. The advantage of this form of sedation is that the effects quickly reverse and patients are able to drive themselves to and from their dental appointments.
- Oral Conscious Sedation: This method involves taking a pill. While the amount of sedation achieved with this method varies among individuals, many of our patients find it to be sufficient for decreasing anxiety levels and providing them with a relaxing, pleasant experience during their dental treatment. Choosing this route will require you to have someone drive you to and from your dental appointment.
- IV Sedation: Also known as moderate conscious sedation, it is most commonly used by oral surgeons and dentists with specific training and certification. With this type of sedation, medications are administered directly into the bloodstream. The greatest advantage of IV sedation is that the level of sedation can be adjusted to the needs of the individual patient. IV sedation is not commonly used in dental offices because of the advanced training required and strict requirements for certification. In fact, Dr. Betancourt is among 1.5% of general dentists in Charlotte and all of North Carolina licensed to perform these procedures by the State Board. Choosing this route of sedation will require you to have someone drive you to and from your dental appointment.
- General Anesthesia: Also known as deep sedation, this method is reserved for our most anxious patients that prefer to be fully asleep during their treatment. In conjunction with anesthesiologist Dr. Charles Cangemi, Dr Betancourt and Dr. Pinnix are able to provide excellent dental care while you are fast asleep. The most sophisticated monitoring equipment is used by our highly trained professionals making this method extremely safe.
Frequently Asked Questions about Sedation Dentistry
Who should try sedation dentistry?
Everyone is different. Most people who avoid the dentist suffer from paralyzing fear. Maybe they’ve had a traumatic past experience, while others may have a low pain tolerance or resistance to the numbing injections that most dentists use. No matter the reason, there’s no need ever to feel uncomfortable when visiting our Charlotte dental office. It’s not unusual for us to see patients who require extensive, complex treatment. But the good news is that with sedation dentistry practices, we can usually accomplish complete care in just one comfortable, anxiety free visit.
Will I be unconscious?
There are varying degrees of sedation available and after your consultation, you and our dentists will choose the one most appropriate for you.
Is Sedation Dentistry Safe?
Yes, sedation dentistry is very safe for those who Dr. Betancourt and Dr. Pinnix believe to be a candidate. Throughout your visit our experienced dental team will monitor your vital signs as you receive attentive care that will make you feel like you’re at a spa. The best part will come when you look in the mirror and see your healthy, happy smile.
How long will it take?
Depending on the condition of your teeth, your sedation may last from two to six hours. We only focus on you during your visit, so there will be nothing to interrupt or interfere with your treatment, which is why we can usually treat even the most serious cases in just one visit.
Do I need someone with me?
Yes, it is required that someone accompany you to and from our dentist office. Although you may feel completely refreshed when the procedure is over, you’ll still be under the effects of sedation.
How do I get started?
Our friendly staff is waiting to hear from you. First, we need to gather some information regarding your health. Then we’ll discuss your specific needs and desires. Once you’ve talked with our caring dental professionals, you will understand sedation dentistry is the best solution for your dentist office fears.
Don’t wait any longer to learn about our Charlotte sedation dentistry options! Call Advanced Dentistry of Blakeney at 704-543-1102 or fill in and submit our easy and convenient Request An Appointment form to schedule your consultation.